100g plain flour
1 – 2 tbsp cold water
1 lemon, grated rind and juice
60g caster sugar
1 large organic Rookery Farm egg
80g unsalted butter, diced
1 large egg white
30g caster sugar
110g granulated sugar
400g local raspberries
1 large egg white
1. Pre heat oven 200°C/Gas mark 6 and lightly grease 2 x 10cm flan tins.
2. Measure flour into a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Stir in the sugar and add the cold water gradually, mixing to form a dough.
4. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface, line the 2 flan tins. Prick the bottom of the pastry, line with baking paper and baking beans.
5. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10 – 12 minutes. Remove the baking beans and cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove and cool.
6. Turn the oven temperature down to 180°C/Gas Mark 5.
7. Put the lemon rind and sugar in a bowl.
8. In a separate bowl whisk the whole egg, add the lemon juice, and pour the mixture over the rind and sugar.
9. Add the butter and place the bowl over a pan of simmering water. Cook slowly until the mixture coats the back of the spoon.
10. Pour the mixture into the pastry cases.
11. Whisk the egg white in a large bowl until it forms stiff peaks.
12. Gradually beat in the caster sugar until the mixture is glossy.
13. Pipe the meringue on top of the lemon filling.
14. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes until golden brown.
15. Put the sugar and water into a saucepan. Heat gently to dissolve the sugar.
16. Bring to the boil for 6 – 8 minutes until a syrup has formed. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
17. Press the raspberries through a sieve to form a purée.
18. Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Mix together the purée and syrup, fold in the egg white thoroughly.
19. Pour into an ice cream machine, and follow manufacturer’s instructions.
20. Serve the tart with scoops of raspberry sorbet and fresh raspberries.
We’d love to keep you updated with our latest news