40g stoneground wholemeal Weald and Downland Museum flour
40g plain white flour
40g butter, diced
1 level tbsp icing sugar
1-2tbsp cold water
150ml single cream
½ tsp crushed dried chilli
75g Montezumas dark chocolate
1 large egg
25g caster sugar
2 drops vanilla essence
VANILLA ICE CREAM
(using an ice cream maker)
250ml whole milk from Goodwood Farm
150ml double cream from Goodwood Farm
1 vanilla pod
1tsp vanilla extract
2 large egg yolks + 1 medium
50g caster sugar
1. Pre heat oven 190C Gas mark 6.
2. Put wholemeal and white flour in a bowl. Rub in the butter. Stir in the icing sugar. Add 1-2 tbsp of cold water to form a dough. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 20 mins.
3. Roll out the pastry and line 2 individual tartlet tins. Line with baking parchment. Fill tart cases with baking beans and bake blind for 10 minutes. Remove the beans and cook for a further 5 minutes.
4. Leave to cool.
1. Pour the cream into a saucepan and add the chilli. Bring to the boil, turn off the heat and leave the chilli to infuse.
2. Break up the chocolate and stir into 3. Whisk the egg, sugar and vanilla together until pale and creamy. Whisk in the chocolate mixture.
4. Pour into the tartlet cases and bake for 15 - 20 minutes until set. Cool.
5. Serve the tarts with a scoop of ice cream.
Vanilla ice cream
1. Follow instructions for ice cream maker.
2. Put some ice into a large bowl.
3. Put the milk and cream into a saucepan, add the vanilla extract. Slit the vanilla pod,remove the seeds, add to the milk and cream. Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and leave to stand.
4. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl, pour over the cooled milk and cream mixture.
5. Pour back into the saucepan and over a low heat whisk until mixture coats the back of a spoon.
6. Pour into a bowl and sit the bowl on the ice, stir until cooled.
7. Pour mixture into the ice cream maker. Turn on and churn until it freezes.
We’d love to keep you updated with our latest news